Thursday, November 2, 2017

Cover Crush: Orphans of the Carnival by Carol Birch

Hello, my name is Colleen and I am a cover slut. I know, I know....you aren't supposed to judge a book by it's cover. I just can't help myself! A beautiful cover draws my eye every single time and I can't help but pick up the book it's dressing and see if the inside seems as intriguing as the outside. Sometimes it does, and sometimes a pretty cover is just a pretty cover. Either way, I love getting an eyeful!

One of my favorite bloggers, Erin at
Flashlight Commentary, created a weekly blog post called Cover Crush and she and some other blogger friends are sharing their favorite covers each Thursday. I've decided to join in this year and will link to their posts down below.


So, without further ado, my Cover Crush this week is.....
 
 
 
 
The first thing that catches my eye with this cover is the color contrasts. The black background with the golden swirls and train and the red circling action in the center makes each section pop and draws my attention to each part in term. I also really like the composition of the cover, with what appears to be the ringleader in the center of...wait for it...a ring, which makes you look first and foremost at the title of the story snug within. I love the train at the bottom and the words floating above it like smoke, as well as the author's name written in a style that reminds me of an old-timey carnival poster.  It all makes for such a striking look, with so much to see, and I just love it! This is the second cover of Carol Birch's that I've highlighted for a Cover Crush post, so whoever is in charge for the covers of her novels is a gem! 
 
Now let's read the synopsis to see if the story is as spectacular as the cover....
 
 
The dazzling new novel, evoking the strange and thrilling world of the Victorian carnival, from the Man Booker-shortlisted author of Jamrach's Menagerie.

A life in the spotlight will keep anyone hidden

Julia Pastrana is the singing and dancing marvel from Mexico, heralded on tours across nineteenth-century Europe as much for her talent as for her rather unusual appearance. Yet few can see past the thick hair that covers her: she is both the fascinating toast of a Governor's ball and the shunned, revolting, unnatural beast, to be hidden from children and pregnant women.

But what is her wonderful and terrible link to Rose, collector of lost treasures in an attic room in modern-day south London? In this haunting tale of identity, love and independence, these two lives will connect in unforgettable ways.
 
 
Don't forget to check out what covers my blogger buddies are drooling over this week (updated as they become available):


Magdalena at A Bookaholic Swede
Meghan at Of Quills & Vellum
Erin at Flashlight Commentary
Heather at The Maiden's Court
Stephanie at Layered Pages
Holly at 2 Kids and Tired



Created by Magdalena of A Bookaholic Swede
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment