Thursday, October 12, 2017

Cover Crush (October Edition): The Ghost Writer by John Harwood

Hello, my name is Colleen and I am a cover slut. I know, I know....you aren't supposed to judge a book by it's cover. I just can't help myself! A beautiful cover draws my eye every single time and I can't help but pick up the book it's dressing and see if the inside seems as intriguing as the outside. Sometimes it does, and sometimes a pretty cover is just a pretty cover. Either way, I love getting an eyeful!

One of my favorite bloggers, Erin at
Flashlight Commentary, created a weekly blog post called Cover Crush and she and some other blogger friends are sharing their favorite covers each Thursday. I've decided to join in this year and will link to their posts down below.

Since it's October and the perfect time of year to indulge my love of all things dark and scary I've decided to showcase creepy covers all month long!  

So, without further ado, my Cover Crush this week is.....
 
 
 
 
I'll admit that this cover gave me what I like to call the "heeby jeebies" as soon as I saw it. That's basically a way of saying that it creeped me out hardcore, and continues to do so as I stare at it. The sepia tones makes it feel old and the fact that the white-faced woman seems just a darker version of the background gives her the feeling of ghostliness. And her image within the spinning stairwell leaves me wondering...if she floating, or is she falling? Whatever is going on here it's quite unnerving!
 
Let's find out what the story is about...
 

Viola Hatherley was a writer of ghost stories in the 1890s whose work lies forgotten until her great-grandson, as a young boy in Mawson, Australia, learns how to open the secret drawer in his mother's room. There he finds a manuscript, and from the moment his mother catches him in the act, Gerard Freeman's life is irrevocably changed. What is the invisible, ever-present threat from which his mother strives so obsessively to protect him? And why should stories written a century ago entwine themselves ever more closely around events in his own life? Gerard's quest to unveil the mystery that shrouds his family, and his life, will lead him from Mawson to London, to a long-abandoned house and the terror of a ghost story come alive.  
 

Don't forget to check out what covers my blogger buddies are drooling over this week (updated as they become available):




Created by Magdalena of A Bookaholic Swede 
 
 
 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment